Erectile dysfunction is male sexual impotence problem, which provides you trouble in achieving and maintaining erections. According to doctors, this problem can grow worse as you get old. However, it is clarified that erectile dysfunction is not literally related to aging although it becomes aggravated as one ages. Experts explained that ED may only become worse as you age since the systems in your body deteriorate in time as well.
Although there is a great number of home remedies for erectile dysfunction, you also have the choice to talk to your doctor. Getting help from doctor will not just expedite your treatment, but help you track other health problems that may be causing your ED.
Why Get Help From Doctors?
You have to be reminded that erectile dysfunction may stem out of health problems. It can only be a side effect of a problem, which you may not have detected yet. Do you know that impotence is greatly related to diabetes? According to findings, you will be two to three times more likely to suffer from erectile dysfunction if you have diabetes. National Institutes of Health claimed this statement. Experts of the authority stated that poor blood sugar regulation can lead to damages of small blood vessels and nerves, which are linked to penis blood flow. As a result, you will not be able to create or even maintain erections properly.
Other than the given problem, high blood pressure is said to be associated with erectile dysfunction. When you have abnormal blood pressure, sufficient blood flow is not given to your blood vessels. In such case, you will not even find it probable to create erections. Even medications for high blood pressure can increase your risk of having impotence.
By knowing what really causes your erectile dysfunction, you can free yourself from other health problems or complications.
Preparation for Doctor Consultation
You also have to prepare before consulting your doctor about your health problem. The first thing you have to remember is to prevent being too anxious in talking about your sexual problem. Your doctor had certainly encountered a lot of issues related to yours. You just need to be open about anything to solve the issue.
Other than that, it is best to set an appointment with the doctor. After having the schedule of your consultation, it is best to be prepared on what your physician has to ask. Primarily, the following are the things your doctor will certainly inquire about:
- Personal information (current life occurrences, major changes, problems)
- Medications being taken (multivitamins, prescription drugs, OTC medications, and herbal remedies)
- Symptoms of your erectile dysfunction
Besides the information your doctor may ask you, you also have to prepare a list of questions you will inquire to him or her. Given below are the topics you should focus on:
- Cause of your erectile dysfunction
- Type of your erectile dysfunction symptoms
- Treatment or approach for your erectile dysfunction
- Insurance for treatment
- Lifestyle advice
The Diagnosis Proper
Aside from the exchange of questions that will take place in your doctor’s office, it is expected that a physical examination may also be required by your doctor. Listed below are the following tests that may be carried out:
- Blood tests. The tests will check the status of your hormones, which include prolactin, testosterone, and luteinizing hormone.
- Urinalysis. Your urine will also be checked for glucose level, blood cells, and protein.
- Imaging studies. These studies will primary use ultrasound for your testicles and penis.
Who Can Help You?
There are various specialists that can help you counter erectile dysfunction. Given below are the following:
- Mental Health Professionals. Erectile dysfunction can also be caused by psychological factors, which is why a mental health professional may help you. You can work with a therapist in order to address your negative moods, mental disorder, or current depressed state for erectile dysfunction treatment.
- Urologists. Urologists are best trusted if you want concise diagnosis of your reproductive and urinary health. They will help address the abnormalities present in your reproductive system.
- Endocrinologists. Hormonal imbalance is also a possible cause of erectile dysfunction. With hormone specialists to help, you can address your low levels of testosterone that possibly resulted to erectile dysfunction.
Having a doctor to help you with erectile dysfunction will make things easier. Simply cooperate and you will definitely get better medical approach for ED treatment.